четверг, 14 января 2016 г.

Singer Sewing Machine Desk

Singer Sewing Machine Desk
DIY singer sewing machine desk

True confession I am a garbage picker, its a bit of an issue… OK maybe I am exaggerating slightly but tis true of this one time, my neighbour was throwing out an old singer sewing machine and I had to have it, just had to. Kent did the ole where are you putting that…. and my response was I don’t know but I need it.


I asked if I could have it, we carried it across the street and then it sat in my basement for a year (OOPS). This machine screams childhood memories to me, seriously anyone else have one in their house?? I know we all did right, or at least all of us over 40…..


She was in not the best shape but the machine is still there with all her parts, but heck I don’t sew so maybe eventually I will remove the sewing machine and use the cabinet for a bar… but for now it is my new desk.


old singer sewing machine that needs work

singer sewing machine metal frame

So whay you ask after one year did I decide to start moving ahead on this project, well I started following Hometalk ( totally cool ideas) and found this neat way of removing veneer. A wet towel and an iron and presto, magico the venner just peels off.


So after the veneer was stripped off I needed to figure out how I wanted to treat my case…


I originally thought I would just paint it and used Sierra Brown, thought is looked a bit flat and then I got Pinterest inspired with chalk paint in parchment


I was loving the parchment colour and decided a distressed look would be perfect.


I also decided I would only paint the top and the drawers and left the rest of the machine “box” the veneer, figuring if I hated it I still had paint left over.


I disconnected the metal frame, purchased black enamel paint and wow it was a thing of beauty.


I painted,, sanded it so the sierra colour came through in spots, reconnected the metal singer frame and then varathaned with a satin finish. Purchased new pulls and I loved it. When I asked Kent to help me bring it in the house, he looked at it and said, when are you finishing it…. he doesn’t dig the distressed look


Do you like to repurpose old items?? are you a fan of distreesed, or do you just toss and move on?

Linking with Whims and Sits Weekend Retreat & Funtastic Friday


Original article and pictures take i1.wp.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий