понедельник, 1 сентября 2014 г.

Pallet Headboard

Pallet Headboard

So I've seen a bunch of post on Pinterest about using pallets for all sorts of fun stuff. So while driving around one day at work I just happen to pass by 3 on the curb and picked them up (yet another reason I love the Rav4 over the Kia)



Step 1: Figure out what it is you want to make. For me I needed a headboard.

Step 2: Make a design. This may take some creativity. I recommend goggling some ideas. This one is were I got most inspiration from. I have a plain metal bed frame so I measured from post to post for the width. Mine was 61" I added and extra 1" to each side to make it look better. Then I figured out how tall I wanted it. I went with 58" this way the head board was taller then me when I'm sitting up in bed.



Step 3: Take them apart. You will need....

-A saw

-Hammer

-Safety glasses

-Gloves (optional but they do help to prevent splinters)

-Tape Measure

-Nail set-pandora or some other source of music (just because it's fun)

-Beer or Wine (I do not recommend consuming alcohol while operating power tools.)


Pallets are harder to take apart then what you may think. You will have to use a saw to cut through the nails. After cutting them apart you may want to use a nail set to take them out of the boards. They will get in the way when trying to put your creation together




Step 4: Lay out your plan. I used 2x4's for the base of the project. The ends are spaced 61" apart. The 2 in the middle are 20" apart. I had to lay out the board to see what would look best. With using 3 very different pallets the boards are all very different widths.



Step 5: Put it all together.

You will need

-Nails

-Wood Glue

-Hammer

-Tape Measure



Step 6: Sand it!! This will clean it up a bit and take care of sharp edges. (You wouldn't want to get a splinter in your head)


Step 7: Stain it. I liked the look of the different boards so just used a clear stain. You could use what every you want.


Step 8: Move it to room you plan to use it in. If your like me you won't ask for help. I don't recommend this..wood is HEAVY. Good thing I've been working out!!!



Step 9: Attach to bed frame.

-Realize that your first idea of using screws won't work after all.

-Go to hardware store and come up with a plan B.

-I went with metal drivers in the wood that a bolt could screw into. This will also make it possible to take it apart and put back together when moving.

- Drill the hole for the metal driver it should be slightly smaller then the piece you have.

- Line up the bed frame and headboard and mark were you plan to drill.

-Drill all 8 holes



-Notice you don't have a hex head large enough.

-Go to hardware store for a set of larger hex head.

-Insert driver

-Realize that you can't count and only manage to get 4 sets of drivers/bolts when you actually need 8. -Go back to hardware store, find out they only have 3 bolts and 2 drivers

-Got to different store find out they don't actually sell the same size of thing you have already have.

-Go to a different location of 1st store. Get what you need and go home.

-Enjoy beer after all that running around.



-Insert bolts into headboard




Step 10: Reassemble bed and enjoy!!!!


2/20/14 Update: I moved to a new home back in October. The bed came apart and went back up with No problems.


Original article and pictures take typinterest.blogspot.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий