вторник, 5 октября 2010 г.

DIY Wooden Window Cornice

DIY Wooden Window Cornice

Hey guys! So, I’ve been building furniture for our new home, like crazy and realized that I haven’t done much in the way of our windows! I have done panels for my dining room and living room which you can see HERE but I have neglected the rest. The hardware is usually expensive and my budget only lends to buying fabric for handmade curtains (that I talk Whitney into sewing for me). Well, she’s too busy on her own house right now and I remembered that I wanted to DIY some Wooden Cornices once upon a time so….. Off to the shop I went!


DIY-Wooden-Valance

I built these cuties in about 30 minutes and for about $15 each, which allowed me to splurge on curtains!


Here’s how I made them


cuts-for-wood-valance

Everyones windows are a different size so I won’t share my measurements. I measured my window from one end of the trim to the other (if you don’t have trim just measure the width of the window opening). I took that measurement and added 6″. This is the length I cut the 1×10. Then, I cut 2 more 1×10’s at 3.5″. So,…


(the width of your window) + 6″ = length of first 1×10


2 – 1×10 @ 3.5″


*If you don’t have a saw, this handsaw will work great for this project.*


side-pieces

Next, I drilled three 3/4″ pocket holes into one end of each short 1×10’s. If you don’t have a Kreg Jig yet, the R3 in the box below is a great choice for projects like this. I have a K5 but I still use this for certain applications. So, if you like it and decide to upgrade, it won’t be wasted!


attach-sides-to-front

and attached them to the ends of the long 1×10 with 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws.


front-and-sides-attached

Here it is so far. Now, measure the length between the two short 1×10 pieces


cut-1x4-for-top

and cut a 1×4 that length (this should be about 1.5″ shorter than the long 1×10). Then I drilled 3/4″ pocket holes on both ends and along one side.


wood-valance-assembled

Attach the 1×4 to one end of the cornice with 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws and wood glue. This 1×4 will be the top of the cornice (and will rest on the cleat that we attach to the wall)!


Now for the finish!


wipe-on-stain

I applied one coat of Rust-Oleum Kona stain over the entire piece.


apply-vaseline

When it was dry, I rubbed a very thin layer of Vaseline all over the edges and a little in spots across the boards.


apply-paint

Then, I painted one coat of gray paint all over and let it dry.


While it’s drying, you can hang the curtains


attach-curtain-rod-and-curtains

I bought those cheap (and by cheap I mean $1.79 each!) curtain rods at Home Depot but you can get them at Wal-Mart, Target…many places. HERE are the ones I bought.


attach-1x2-to-window

Then, cut a 1×2 the same length as the 1×4 and attach it to the wall, above the window. Use 2 1/2″ wood screws and drive them into the studs. This actually would be easier to do before attaching the curtain rod but I didn’t think enough ahead


That was quick and your paint probably won’t be dry yet so take a rest…you did a great job


distressing

Once the paint was dry, I used my Ryobi Corner Cat Sander, with an 80-grit sanding pad, to distress the entire box. You will see big chunks of paint come off where the Vaseline was – this is great! Then, you will see spots where the bare wood shows too. We love this finishing technique!


attach-window-box-to-1x4

Now, wipe it down and set it on top of the 1×2 cleat. Just attach it with 2 1/2″ wood screws and drill them in at an angle (towards the wall).


How-to-Build-Window-Cornices

Easy-DIY-Cornice

how-to-make-a-window-valance

DIY-Wooden-Window-Valance

That was IT! Each Wooden Cornice was about $15 and the rods were under $2 each. I scored the burlap curtain from Ballard (HERE). They weren’t super pricey when I compared them to others and I loved the fringe at the bottom (and they are lined – the pic on their site doesn’t look like they are)! And, the best part about the cornices is that if your curtains are a little long, you can fold them up and clip them on the rings and no one will ever know


This was so easy and inexpensive, I wish I had done it sooner…and my brain is spinning with all sorts of modifications to use them in other rooms!


Thanks so much for stopping by!


~Ashley


Info on other items in the pics:


Paint: HERE


Stools: Sam’s ($35 each!)


Rug: Hobby Lobby


Metal Chairs: Target


Table: HERE


Chalkboard Calendar: HERE


Tile: HERE


Chandelier: HERE


Original article and pictures take www.shanty-2-chic.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий